One of the things that I'm going to try to be better about is to make sure I'm taking some time out of every morning to do a little beauty routine. Washing my face, moisturizing, and putting on some slap would, I believe, make me feel like more of a person of style and glamor than I have been lately.
In the last few days I've paired my cosmetics routine down to a few items that, when I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror, really do seem to make me look prettier.
- bronzer -- I have never used it before and man, bronzer is AWESOME. Why did no one tell me I needed this? You don't have to be all contour-happy with it. You just need a little and it makes you look alive. Seriously, you need bronzer. Go get some. I bought the Rimmel bronzer -- no shimmer.
- highlighter -- as a mid-30s mom sometimes I feel a little flat. In order to get that little bit of oompf I've been using Benefit's High Beam.
- blush -- as you can see, I'm a little obsessed with pretending actual blood runs in my veins rather than just coffee. I use just a light light coral blush on the apples of my cheeks to give me a little natural flush. I have a little CoverGirl one that seems to do just fine. For summer, I'll need something a little bit more pigmented.
- concealer -- just sparingly under my eyes and right in the nasal folds (mine seem a little red). Benefit ErasePaste. If you haven't tried it, get yo'self to a Sephora stat.
- eyeshadow -- a light pinky lavender with just a hint of shimmer. Again, just a CoverGirl brick.
- eyeliner -- and this is one I considered optional for a bit, but not anymore. It really makes a difference. I've been using Stila liquid eyeliner in a plain black and it is pretty great. I just do the top lid and if I'm lucky, I get a little swooshy wing on the corners.
- mascara -- after I use my curler, I swipe on a little mascara. I use Maybelline Full and Soft. It's one of the few mascaras that consistently works on my fine, medium length lashes.
- lippie -- Even lip balm will do for me but anything with a little pigment makes my face pop. I've been swiping a little Lipstick Queen in Medieval on lately and calling it done.
Before all of that, though, is my new skincare initiative.
- Cetaphil cleanser
- Murad Resurgence Age-Diffusing Serum
- Estee Lauder DayWear moisturizer
- Estee Lauder Verite eye cream
- Rosebud salve lip balm
- Ponds Cold Cream
- Sephora Age Defy Night Moisture Cream
- Rosebud salve lip balm